FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:22 pm
TroyHorse

Originally Posted by weezl
I disagree. You are entitled to your GPU back if only the us leg clears. Same should be true for miles used. It may be a "fight" but you will win.
This is always the way I've understood it to work. If the long-haul flight doesn't clear, you'll only be charged the economy saver price, even if you flew in First on a connection.

Dan over at DansDeals says as much: "Even if you do get a seat in First Class for the non-[businessfirst] portion but do not get the [businessfirst] seat you will get the mileage refund"

Technically, the rules say "For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed." The fact you had a connection in United First wouldn't change that statement, though I imagine it would be hard to hold an agent to it who doesn't want to issue a refund.