FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - help picking seats for JFK-HNL trip on Hawaiian
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:04 pm
iluvthsgam

help picking seats for JFK-HNL trip on Hawaiian

I'm flying JFK-HNL-JFK in May with my wife and 3-year old son. Economy tickets booked on miles through Virgin Elevate.

My son is really good on planes, been on over 30 flights, but this flight will be his longest by far (current longest is 7 hours).

I have the new a330 plane with lay flat first. Ideally I would rather not pay $145 x 6 to have us all in economy plus both ways.

I was considering a few options. Does anyone know if the armrests fold up in economy?

I was consider taking a row of 3 seats in the back - like row 43 or 44 - that way we get the whole row, can put the arm rests up if they go up and also have room with a slightly bigger aisle on both sides.

I was also considering taking something like 34HJ for my wife and I and put my son in 34G (since 34G not considered exit row seat). Only have to pay for 2 economy plus seats and that way we would have the entire bulkhead area on floor for him to stretch out and stand up if he needed too. Anyone think the flight attendants would not allow him to "hang out" on floor on front of those seats near the exit door?

Barring that, a similar idea in for example 20HJ and 20G - same price (2 Economy plus seats) but lose benefit of bulkhead space.

I think my bigger concern would be the red eye home HNL-JFK and trying to get space for him to sleep.

On that leg home row 11 and row 12 and row 14 are all booked. 34HJ is available. Or should I try to get the row of 3 (row 43-45) and have an entire row to myself?

I've seen online the blow up pillows that can go on floor and up agasint seat to make a "bed" for little kids - has anyone used something like that before? Not sure how good it would be.

I also called to ask if I paid the $145 to economy plus and then tried to upgrade to first right near departure would the $145 count towards the upgrade or be lost. They say it would be lost. Which would make no sense to do. I think I can use miles to upgrade to first but that is only based on availability 24 hours out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!