FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Potential move back to DL from AA
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
outwrdbound
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Potential move back to DL from AA

Hi all. My company's travel policy and preferred vendors will change beginning 15 March and they have dropped AA and WN as preferred vendors and added B6 (AC, DL and UA continue to be preferred). So with the change I will be saying good bye to AA. I used to fly DL regularly (was a PM) until 2012 and have been with AA and a little bit of pmUS since. Overall, I am happy with AA and wouldn't leave had our new travel guidelines allowed me to continue with them.

When I was a PM a few years ago, my upgrade percentage was dismal and I am expecting this to still be the case. Is Comfort + typically available? What does DL mean by "shortly after booking" for PM/DM members? Is it within hours? Days? something else? How do the regional upgrade certs work and as a PM can I expect them to actually clear? With AA, I don't have a good upgrade percentage, even as an EXP, but most of my trips touch ORD and DFW, both difficult upgrades for EXPs. It is unlikely I will ever be able to reach DM due to the higher mileage and segment thresholds, although the spend wouldn't be an issue. I assume DL requires BOTH MQS/MQM in addition to MQD. So if I make PM on MQM/MQS but DM on MQD, I am still PM, correct? This is just based on what I have done with AA in the past, usually 100-110k miles and 130-135 segments but around $17k in spend according to the corporate card, subtracting fees and taxes.

Overall, what else can I expect going to DL from AA? Also, if anyone switched from UA to DL recently, I would like to hear your thoughts on DL vs UA as well since UA is my only other option. I am silver on UA due to Marriott PP status but seldom use UA.
Thanks in advance!