FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Amex (South Africa) - Complimentary membership expiry?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:11 pm
MT_Switch

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Unless otherwise mentioned in the benefit terms, status benefits arranged by American Express do not have any renewal requirements aside from continuing to hold the American Express card. Example: in some markets Hilton HHonors Gold status is only valid for the first year, and this is clearly disclosed. Also, American Express' contracts to provide these benefits are periodically renegotiated, and some benefits will end, a few will change, and others will be added.
Thanks for the quick reply. So the assumption should be that membership is perpetual unless otherwise stated? I see that for example, Australia T&C clearly specifies the scope of the benefits. Unfortunately the South Africa T&C seems to be lacking in detail. I had already E-mailed my local Amex team, but have so far not received any response, so the service expectation from that department of Amex seems to be not so great.

Another question, am I obligated to only use my host country concierge or am I allowed to contact a visiting country's concierge whe in the visiting country? Posts on this forum seem to give mixed results.