FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:18 am
Eskimoboy

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
All the internal talk and feedback, apart from the payment problems, has so far focussed on selling out of stock. Crew feedback is mostly that BA has hugely underestimated demand. Hopefully each day provides more data so supply can be matched with individual flight demand.

Despite the reactions on here, BoB is proving to be very popular. Even I'm surprised.
I'm sure I'd read here somewhere that BA were going to overstock flights initially until they'd got a handle on actual demand on certain routes. Seems like the opposite has happened which makes sense from a cost perspective although makes it much harder to accurately gauge demand. But as more data is gathered I guess

One thing to be wary of though for BA is how many people have got caught out by being unaware BOB was starting and bought onboard as there was otherwise no option for food and drink. In future I imagine at least some of them will bring their own. Some routes though probably are popular with business people who can just expense their purchases and are happier that they can now eat more than a tiny bag of crisps. In fact this may well lead to some people flying ET rather than CE and just BOBing instead.

Ultimately I can foresee a scenario where BOB does well for BA but also puts off enough people from flying them that it actually becomes a negative for their income.