FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the rise of Air BnB forcing hotels to act smarter?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:27 am
Swiss Tony
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by swise
Connecting rooms are rare in Asia and hit and miss everywhere else.
That's interesting because when we've been in SE Asia I've found hotels all too happy to guarantee connecting rooms at the time of reservation (assuming they have them). Unfortunately in Europe and the US it's rare that they will guarantee, but I've just been able to strong arm a Novotel in Amsterdam to guarantee connecting rooms for us in the summer. ^

The hotel industry really needs to wake up and get with it, because AirBnB is going to start eating their lunch for nonbusiness travelers. And if AirBnB figures out how to attract the business travelers with options that can appeal to them, like gigabit internet, printers and other office needs, meal service or some way to facilitate breakfasts, dry cleaning, and other concierge-type services, or frequent stay benefits, corporate accounts or some type of arrangement with Amex Travel, then the hotels are really going to to be SOL. I think it's only a matter of time.
Interesting perspective. Again I know of people who travel to London on business and will stay in an AirBnB rather than a hotel as the numbers are so favourable.