FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So [not] excited for my first flight as a GS {in economy}
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:52 pm
EQDsSUCK

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I'll handle this...

Sorry for the stupid question, but how is one granted status?

As part of a negotiation with a company, UA may grant a certain number of GS-status accounts for x million dollars' company travel. The company can then designate who gets the granted status.

So, just curious, if you could spend that kind of money what would you fly? Seems like all airlines are pretty much the same. And spending $50,000 per year won't get you very far in private air travel.

In economy, most airlines are pretty much the same. But in premium classes, especially outside North America, there are immense differences in the flying experience. A number of European carriers, and I would say most large Asian/Pacific carriers, offer a premium product to which no US carrier can compare, although the foreign carriers' fares are often comparable or even less.

I don't know the rules. If you are on a K fare, its just never upgraded?

For overwater flights, K class cannot be upgraded with a Global Premier Upgrade. Only W class and above can be upgraded.
Thank you so much for sharing your answers. I have only flown flatbeds on ua and aa, though I've seen pics of Asian biz class. :-)

If I want to experience these other products, what airlines or routes from US would you take? Australia, South Asia, and Japan/Korea are all on my future travel list. I would try to use AA or UA miles. Or I could sign up for the host carrier's plan if I can get some sort of bonus to start and just get miles for a one way biz flight on that carrier and then come back on another.