FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So have you taken an Alaska (AS) flight yet?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:11 pm
shza

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I actually status-matched from VX to AS in late 2015. But despite getting a free companion ticket and 4 upgrade certs, I didn't end up flying AS a single time last year.

I'm now matched (again) to Gold 75k on AS, with all the same freebies. But again there is little likelihood I will end up flying it this year. They just don't fly direct from SFO or OAK to anywhere I need to go. (In the past couple of years, that has meant largely NY, LA, Dallas, STL, LAS, and DEN). The last time I flew AS was several years ago when I had a bachelor party to attend in Portland. I'm rarely in the Pacific NW for business and I think I just flew VX the last time I was.

On the IFEs: in general I don't mind the stream-to-tablet approach. I've had that on several W9, UA, and AA flights recently. The big drawback is that I like to watch a movie or TV while eating, and that's a lot easier with an IFE that you don't have to hold or put on your tray.