FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:10 am
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Anyway, back on track. How many of those ~67,000 Diamonds were aware in 2016? I'd say the 30,000 that were matched were aware and I'd guess that a decently large percentage (much larger percentage than with other hotel loyalty programs) of the other 37,000 Hyatt Diamonds are also aware.
I agree the 30K 'matchers' were aware, probably that's something everyone in here would agree with.

As for your assertion on the remainder I must disagree. I have friends spending enough time in the air and hotels that their families life is bordering on problematic who have no understanding what their airline/hotel status gives them. Twice in early Jan I was told 'Hey, I made UA GS this year, what does that mean?' Be default I've gone in and upgraded them to Int F because they had no clue upgrades were even in their accounts. I've had similar discussions on planes in random conversation. Another friend received a promo from UA last year for an extra 200K miles for $40K spend... he wasn't even aware of the promo because he didn't have time, or the inclination, to look at UA's emails. He also lost out on Marriott and SPG promos.

Granted that is anecdotal at best, but these people are out there - and they travel ALOT.

Of those 37K earned Diamonds there will be a large contingent that are unaware and remain Diamond but there will, not doubt, be a sizable subset who get bounced back to crapo-ist and in March 2018, after Jan/Feb stays where they get breakfast, all of a sudden don't get breakfast (or lounge) and it's going to hurt Hyatt in the long run. If there's any company wide push to mollify annoyed ex-Diamonds it will only come spring 2018.