FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:43 pm
Hergertarian

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Originally Posted by monczao
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them!

Have a great day!
ps flights aren't CPU eligible, and are the biz seats on red eyes I've been on are usually sold out a week or so in advance :/
I would try to buy up in advance. I usually check out the upgrade list (for folks using instruments), and they rarely clear.