FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. John - lodging/car advice needed
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:27 am
sugarbird

St. John

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Would greatly appreciate advice from those in the know about traveling to this island. We will be spending a week in St. Thomas in very late October and would like to visit St. John for 4-5 nights before heading back to the west coast. Specifically:

1)We will probably rent a car on St. Thomas (I imagine we will need one - staying at the Marriott) - should we keep it and take it to St. John on the ferry? vs renting a new car on St. John?

2) We had thought about staying at the Concordia Eco lodge on the island but there restaurant will almost certainly be closed and it is a longer way from the beaches that I would like (I will be the driver trying to manage the opposite lane driving). Now considering just staying at Caneel Bay Resort (we have a good Virtuoso travel agent). Any opinions on that resort or other suggested options?

Thanks for any opinions/advice about these issues or anything else!
My wife and I have had a 2nd home on St. John for 38 years--so we know the Island and St. Thomas. Rental Cars are cheaper from St. Thomas than St. John--but you must rent from a company that allows you to take it to St. John---for example Avis and Budget do allow this, Hertz does not.
You should also have an all wheel drive vehicle (SUV)--some of the hills and roads need that especially when it rains.
Caneel Bay is an excellent resort and ZoZo's on its grounds is the best restaurant on St. John--there are many other good restaurants in Cruz Bay.
Many people vacationing here rent a home--there are many companies with listings--but peak season (Thanksgiving to Easter) reservations are booked many months in advance---but sometimes cancellations are available.
The Westin hotel also has very nice villa rentals.