FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:52 am
televisor

Programs: 1 thousand
Does anyone have experiences with a delay when the delayed flight is bringing you to a long layover (19 hour/overnight). I had a 4hr 11min delay on LHR-SFO yesterday, with onward journey the next day.

The fare rules don't take into account the layover (I.e. I had a LHR-XXX fare), however I specifically booked as a multi-city ticket, so arguably SFO was my final destination for that day. The overnight layover wasn't necessary, there was at least one valid SFO-XXX flight the same day - this wasn't a default advertised routing, I specifically wanted to fly to SFO.

As far as I can tell there's no case law arguing this yet, I'd be intersted in hearing if anyone else has either succeeded or failed with a similar scenario. (I'm putting my chances of success at about 1% of convincing UA directly, and maybe 10% if a court were to decide on it.)

FWIW we were told inflight to visit the appreciation site (and I also got an email to visit it) - however it isn't giving me any offers automatically (which is what most people seem to describe seeing), and is instead asking me to give them my contact details (after logging into my MP account) - so I've got no idea what I'd be getting that way.

Last edited by televisor; Jan 23, 2017 at 7:38 am