FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:27 am
drvannostren

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
EU 261 First timer

Alright, so I've done some research and I THINK I'm entitled to a pretty good chunk of cash, but I'm wondering if some of you guys who are a bit more experienced could give this a once over.

Original booking:

ARN-BRU-IAD-SEA

Jan 18
ARN-BRU 0700-0920
BRU-IAD 1155-1505
IAD-SEA 1725-2018

Revised booking (due to mechanical issue with the inbound aircraft, resulting in a delay FROM EWR to BRU and thus impacting our outbound flight)

ARN-BRU 0700-0920 (UA codeshare on SK, no issues)
BRU-IAD 1700-1933 (late flight)
IAD-SEA 0830-1124+1 (forced overnight in IAD due to the late flight)

This really wasn't satisfactory for me because I didn't wanna miss work on the next day, so I looked into other options with the agent once the line died down a bit. Here's what I ended up with...

ARN-BRU 0700-0920 (UA codeshare on SK, no issues)
BRU-MUC 1320-1435 (rebooked on LH)
MUC-SFO 1550-1905 (rebooked on LH)
SFO-SEA 2305-0114+1 (back on UA, google flights shows it arrived at 0100)

So as I see it, I was rebooked, but I still arrived roughly 4:45 late, so they've got no right to halve my compensation, which would entitle me to 600Euro? Do I have this correct?

I was offered nothing at the airport, other people were offered food vouchers and stuff, I wasn't concerned about that, I got rebooked fairly promptly and I wouldn't really have had time for a food voucher. They had phone cards available too, but no mention of monetary compensation was ever mentioned.

Do I have a case here? I've filled out the forms I found online but I'm not sure do you email the carrier first? Mail the forms in? It also says to give them 6 weeks to reach a resolution, that seems like a pretty long time, but then again, this is the first time I've ever done one of these.

Thanks for any help folks, just wanna make sure I'm in the right here before I proceed any further.