FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:33 am
RTW1

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The DSUs especially might be most appropriately awarded on a spend-only basis. Giving 4 DSUs to someone with 60 nights at $100/night HH/HPs but none to someone with 40 nights at $300 properties does not seem very logical.
And there you find the problem balancing what a loyalty program should bring for both the brand and the members. There should be a balance in what is spend vs what is earned....

I find it perfectly acceptable that qualification goals are set a bit higher than would be "fair" if the benefits gained are something of substance. Spending a reasonable amount of extra nights/stays or even cash to get to that next status level is to be expected.

But as already has been stated so often, the 60nights simply is not reasonable for most in light what it was before and the presence Hyatt has. And the benefits of all but Glob are simply not worth it.

I even looked at the required cash I would be required to spend, but that's also totally unrealistic. With taxes and other fees I would be looking at something like $25k.... That's about 70nights at my average rate (and even more should I visit some countries in Asia) excluding any P+C or full awards I would have.

I really wonder if with WOH any significant amount of people will make the effort to stay a few extra nights, I doubt it. The road warriors who stay more than 50nights already don't need convincing, and for most of the rest of the Diamonds it simply isn't worth it anymore. You might get lucky in a single year when your travel brings you to places with lots of Hyatt, but otherwise you will be out of luck. So why even bother.... spend your money someplace else and get any benefits through other means.

And if the DSU's are really awarded based on the number of nights regardless of status (even on spend) it would even be more stupid.