FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best/Worst lounges on NZ network
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:33 pm
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CorporateFlyer:
CHC international also gets a bit crowded and the coffee machine is closed for cleaning seemingly all day, every day...anyone ever used it?</font>
I've only been to CHC Int'l lounge once, which was a couple of weeks ago, and the coffee machine was operational then!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Quokka:
I swear for the last 4 or so years on every flight in NZ First and Business and in most every NZ lounge I've been faced with the same four cheeses: the same good, but not great blue style cheese, an ok cheddar and gouda style cheese and a really marginal brie. It's time for a change!</font>
I hadn't actually thought about it, but now you mention it you're right, the cheese *is* always the same. I love the Kikorangi creamy blue cheese, but the others aren't very exciting...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrSydney:
Mad_Atta has suggested we do the Utlimate Lounge thread.</font>
Indeed I did, so about time I participated. Here are my thoughts on the few NZ lounges that I have visited:

Sydney International: I'd have to agree with the consensus that this is a great lounge. Nice view over the apron and runway from the main lounge area. There's usually a great range of food and drink on offer, nice bathroom and shower facilities, loads of space (it has never seemed even remotely crowded) and a few internet-enabled PC's in the business area plus sprinkled around the lounge (great provided the ISP bills have been paid!!). Reading material is a bit lacking, but this seems to apply to all NZ lounges - do they *really* think we want to read BMW's corporate magazine??? All in all it's by far the best Star Lounge at SYD: the SQ lounge is small and dull with disappointing food choices; the UA RCC is surprisingly nice but still well outclassed, and a little bit claustrophobic due to lack of natural light. Surprisingly, this lounge also IMHO beats the QF international lounge at SYD (I can't speak for the QF First lounge) and the NZ lounge in AKL, both of which are 'home base' lounges after all. The First lounge next door is differentiated only by being MUCH smaller and quieter, with ultra-comfy black leather recliner chairs and very smart shower suites but a less interesting view. The food/drink offerings seem to be the same as next door, though some have found them more limited. Although, as Quokka pointed out, NZ has no F services from SYD any more, this lounge is also contracted to Emirates, Thai and (I think) Korean, all of whom have F service, hence the continuation of the F section.

Auckland International: A pretty nice lounge, but now outclassed by SYD. Best features besides the usual strong food/drink offerings are the great views of apron, runway and out to the Manukau Heads, plus the design with a few distinct seating areas - you can usually find a quiet spot somewhere. Very nice shower suites too. Weaknesses include only 2 internet PC's for the whole (large) lounge, and a slightly dated feel with that rather '80s corporate art' looking metal sculpture thingy. Also has probably the best range of reading material. I was interested to sample the AKL QF Club the other day, which was quite disappointing, with not much in the way of food, no views, and surprisingly little space given QF's considerable presence at AKL.

Wellington International: Quite small but nicely appointed lounge, still looking very fresh and modern. I like the layered glass lights. Most disappointing feature is the dull view over the car park - the QF Club next door has a much better view over the international apron (though the NZ domestic lounge view trumps them both). Very conveniently close to the gates... but then again, in Wellington International it couldn't really be anything else! I find WLG an extremely user-friendly airport, and this lounge is no exception.

Christchurch International: I was a little disappointed by this lounge. CHC's International terminal has been so beautifully redesigned with some very stylish public areas, so it is a surprise to discover that the tucked-away NZ lounge is actually in part of the old terminal building, with dated decor to match. It's also pretty small (I would imagine it must be very crowded when NZ's 747 and 763 international services coincide, particularly if SQ is also in at the time), which probably explains the much more limited beverages available compared to most NZ lounges - there just doesn't seem to be the fridge space. Food offerings are still respectable though, and there's a great view of the main runway and across to the GA activity on the parallel grass strip, plus the Southern Alps in the distance. The bathroom / shower area is particularly dated. The CHC QF Club puts this to shame.

Rarotonga International: I've read comments elsewhere that this lounge is a disgrace, plus glowing reviews from Zaco who regards it as a particular favourite. In such a small and simple airport as RAR I think it's pretty impressive that there's a lounge here at all - it is also small and simple, but it has all the basics you need, plus some nice fresh tropical fruit. It's also air-conditioned, unlike much of the airport, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you're feeling.

Wellington domestic Koru Lounge: A nice, airy, well-appointed lounge with a number of different seating areas, most with excellent views of runway and terminal activity. Pretty smart bathrooms, too, though the rest of the lounge is looking just a little more worn (eg the seat upholstery) than the age of the airport would lead you to expect, indicating that it probably sees some pretty heavy usage. In these days of no food on domestic NZ services, the lounge food selection is superb - on my one and only visit here food options included the usual cheese & biscuits and salty snacks, plus delicious antipasto, olives, kumara salad, marinated calimari, salami, other salad items and delicious rolls plus some sweet nibbly bits too. Most impressive of all was no fewer than 13 different beers on offer plus a respectable choice of wines, which (hurrah!) were not all dominated by Montana as they tend to be in the international lounges. (Don't get me wrong, Montana make some great products, but given that AirNZ sees itself as an ambassador for the NZ wine industry I think they should branch out a little more.)

Auckland domestic Koru Lounge: A pretty decent lounge with good food & alcohol range when I last visited, which was before its recent revamp. Even pre-facelift it was already by far the nicest thing in the grotty old Auckland domestic terminal. Any comments on the new look?

I'd also be curious to hear what some of the smaller domestic lounges are like, e.g. DUD and ZQN... anyone?

[edited to fix grammar]

[This message has been edited by mad_atta (edited Jan 11, 2004).]