FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:39 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
I actually think what the US hospitality industry does best is mid-range (2.5 to 3*) chain concepts and properties. Full-boat Marriotts and Hiltons and Hyatts are more erratic, and disappoint me far more often, than HGIs, Courtyards, HI, HI Express, and Four Points. Even newish 2* concepts like Microtel, which I stumbled onto for the first time last year, deliver excellent value and amenity levels.

If you tour Europe and book yourself blind into a 2*-3* property you are playing roulette when it comes to cleanliness, amenities, food, service / courtesy, and value for money. The value prop and service promise is far more consistent and satisfactory in the US.
Agree that the full-up Hilton, etc. most often fall short of my expectations and are much more inconsistent, even across rooms in the same property.

I can't say I've noticed any significant, systemic degradations in the mid-range chains recently (though I'm usually at Marriott, Hilton, SPG, or IHG mid-range brands so can't comment on others), whether in hard or soft product.

There are some things that have changed in recent years with most of the industry like the "going green - reuse your towels" bit for one example.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the large dispenser of shampoo, soap, conditioner in the shower over the individual bottles (assuming it's a decent enough product - though I'm not real picky). With the individual ones, I hate fumbling with the tiny lids while showering...or forgetting to bring the bottles into the shower the first time...and they seem like a waste much of the time.

I actually had an unplanned stay at a Microtel a couple of years ago and was also pleasantly surprised at how nice it was for the price.