FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017-2018)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:54 am
DeaconY

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by showmethemonae
Is this an easy way to get started on MS from home? Please let me know if my thinking is in the right direction:

Seems like I can buy a Simon Visa GC online. Pay $504.44. Take said card to Walmart for a $0.70 money order. Deposit MO in bank account. Pay CC. Given 1% back CC (CSR), this is essentially paying $0.14 for 504.44 miles right??
I think you need to relook at your math....You only get the 1% cash back from CSR (or whatever card) if you actually cash in those points instead of using them for travel or transferring to a partner.

In your scenario you are paying $5.14 for a total of 504.44 in URs. This means you have a total cost of $.0102 per UR. This is a horrible MS scheme in the long run. This is fine if you are only trying to meet the min on a new card spend, or there is some promotion above and beyond.

"Purchasing" URs through other means can easily get your cost down to $.005 or lower per point.