FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to best track your FT interests?
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:48 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
i try to do that but they get confusing because well, first it's confusing to get there. under quick links there are "My Threads", and then far below there is "Subscribed Threads". I think i get a little confused as I only get to go on flyertalk every once in a while, and not every couple hours. So i don't use that function a lot.

When I do find Subscribed Threads, it also gets tough to track as some threads are bolded, some are light blue, and then some are normal blue. Not sure what they mean sometimes and how do they arrange the order? Is it by last reply?

Anyway, sound like i just need to be more familiar with these options. On the mobile device I think the layout's slightly different too and sometimes you click on a specific link, it brings you to page 55 of 57 for some reason, and you wonder if that's "last read" for you, but it almost never is, and then i'll have to keep scrolling down and page 57 will eventually appear.

i'm beginning to sound like i'm an amateur with technology now.. so i'm going to stop here haha. but would love to hear how other people keep track of flyertalk, especially some of the moderators since you guys have way more threads to read and track.
MyFlyerTalk is immensely useful and is the main thing I use to access FT. In fact, if I type "f" in my browser address bar, the first thing my browser autocompletes is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php.

In the default MyFlyerTalk view, anything in "New Subscribed Threads:" is new and unread. I think everything there should be bold. That's the main and easiest way for you to follow up on threads you've posted to (or have subscribed to) to see if people have responded to questions you've asked.

By the way, be sure that your "Edit Options" (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profi...do=editoptions) is set to automatically subscribe you to threads you post in. Go to that page and look for the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" option. My preference is "No Email Notification" (which does subscribe you in MyFlyerTalk but doesn't email you when replies are posted), but if you don't visit FT regularly enough to follow the discussions in MyFlyerTalk alone, you may wish to add one of the email options. Just be sure that it does not say "Do not subscribe," or threads you post in won't appear in MyFlyerTalk.

If you click to view all of your subscribed threads, then you'll see both bolded and unbolded threads. Bolded means there are new, unread posts in that thread, and unbolded means that you've read everything in that thread. I'm not sure what "light blue" means--I don't think I've seen that before. Everything is by default ordered by most recent activity (most recent post), so the threads with the most recent activity will be at the top. You can resort them, I think, but I leave it at the default.

The mobile skin is under development and isn't quite perfect yet. At some point in the future when you have a little more experience with it under your belt, if they still haven't fixed the issue you're reporting, you might want to report the issue you're seeing in the Technical Issues forum that lin821 linked in the previous post. I personally don't use the mobile skin as I prefer the full interface (less constricting and more familiar), so I am not that familiar with the issue you're reporting, but I will say I think I've noticed some odd and similar behavior, so I do believe you that it's acting up.

Aside from automatically subscribing to threads you post in (as directed above), you can also manually subscribe to threads you find interesting so you can keep up with them in MyFlyerTalk. You can also do the same for forums, and then the forums you subscribe to will appear in MyFlyerTalk so that you can easily click to the ones that interest you rather than wading through all of them in the main forum view.

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Try the IFTTT app - which let's you build recipes to receive FT update alerts
I do have a couple of IFTTT recipes that pull from the RSS feeds of some of the forums here on FT and email me an alert (i.e. new threads posted in the Mileage Run Deals forum), but a) that is probably a very advanced use-case and not one I would recommend for a newbie to FT and b) that is actually now mostly useless now that the option exists to receive instant email notifications of new threads posted in a given forum (IB turned that function on a few weeks ago).

Last edited by jackal; Jan 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm