FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:36 pm
unicon

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There are 3 levels of WCH:

Code:
 WCHR......PASSENGER CAN ASCEND/DESCEND STEPS AND MAKE OWN WAY TO/FROM RAMP     
  *RAMP*   CABIN/SEAT, BUT REQUIRES WHEELCHAIR TO COVER DISTANCE TO/FROM        
           AIRCRAFT POSITION AT BOARDING/TRANSIT/DESTINATION AIRPORT            

IMPORTANT NOTICE:                                                             
       SAME LEVEL ENTRY BOARDING AND DEBOARDING IS NOT AVAILABLE AT MANY        
       AIRPORTS. DUE TO NUMEROUS ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES AT AIRPORTS, GATE      
       ASSIGNMENTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED AND AIRCRAFT MAY   N O T   BE PARKED      
       DIRECTLY AT THE GATES AND BOARDING/DEBOARDING MAY BE VIA STAIRCASE.      

WCHS......PASSENGER CANNOT ASCEND/DESCEND STEPS BUT IS ABLE TO MAKE OWN        
  *STEPS*  WAY TO/FROM CABIN/SEAT BUT MUST BE CARRIED UP/DOWN/STEPS             

WCHC......PASSENGER IS COMPLETELY IMMOBILE.MUST BE CARRIED INTO THE            
  *CABIN*  AIRCRAFT CABIN AND TO/FROM/CABIN/SEAT WITHIN THE AIRCRAFT
I'm ashamed on the misuse of the WCHR facility on flights to/from India in general, especially if you see the supposed PRMs who rush to be out of the aircraft as soons as we land and then sit in the wheelchair in the jetway.
And here is another category -

MAAS
Passengers requiring guidance and or assistance to go through the procedures

This is from the Air China website, which is the airline I had booked the service with, for my parents/in-laws.

I completely agree, that misuse of the service simply to get through the lines quickly is shameful, but as I said earlier, it is meant for anyone needing assistance through the airport. Also, most likely they use a wheel chair even in this case so they can go faster rather than at the passenger's pace.
Btw, I have never seen a disabled person not getting a wheel chair, so it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of wheel chairs/personnel (if there was then I agree that PRMs should get preference).