FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:22 am
Alohashirt

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

I have an upcoming work trip (BWI-TPA) where my ticket is Biz Select. My wife has family there and decided to join me, buying a great "Wanna Get Away" fare on the same flight very close to our departure date.

We would like to sit together if possible. But since my boarding position will be A<16 and hers is likely to be B or worse, I have my doubts. With a B position, she probably won't even get an overhead bin, based on my recent experiences on WN. I accept that this is just how things work. Whenever I fly WN, I usually see plenty of seat-saving "cheaters." I don't want to become one.

So which of the following strategies would be a courteous way to maximize our chances of sitting together? Note that I like a window seat, and she's perfectly fine with taking the middle seat next to me.
  1. Take the window seat I want. Politely ask anybody who attempts to sit in the other seat if my wife can sit there. Hand them one of my many spare drink coupons if they agree.
  2. Board with my A group, but head to the very back of the plane. (not ideal)
  3. Buy her a priority boarding position if they sell it at the gate. She probably won't agree to that, saying (rightfully) that $40 is wasted money on a short 2 hr. flight.
  4. Put my coat or bag on the seat I want for her to have, try option #1 if somebody wants it, but let it go if that fails.