FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I Fly United
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:26 pm
Lurker

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Great Thread Topic - thank you - assuming that people can stay on topic and not use it as another "Vent about UA" thread. We have plenty of threads on why people are leaving UA. Hopefully the mods will keep this one focused on stories behind why people became (and remain) devoted to UA.

Here's mine:

As an Aussie expat living in the MidWest back in 1994 or 1995 (I'm guessing), I was not a frequent flyer and definitely not a HVF but I flew UA often enough, along with many other airlines - whoever was cheapest.

Then my Dad had a heart attack and I needed to get back to Oz NOW. Back then it was a duopoly I think. I called QF, explained, and they said all of the right "understanding" words, but explained they could next get me out until 2 days time.

I then called United, told them exactly the same story. I will never forget the agent's response. "Well, we simply HAVE to get you out on tonight's flight. Let me see what I can do". Sure enough they got me on the flight that evening and upgraded me. This was even in the good old days of bereavement fares.

I have never forgotten those words and the comfort they gave me. And, although there have been times I have been highly critical of UA's decisions and handling of loyal flyers, I have remained that to them - loyal - for all except one year soon after the CO-UA merger when I gave my second 100k of the year to AA. That was one year only out of the last 21 or 22.

Difficult to calculate how many tens of thousands of dollars that phone agent garnered for United in that one call.

Thank you United.

Lurker

PS: My Dad did fine!!^