FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 and the Devaluation of SWU (nee eVIP, VIPOW) Upgrades
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:03 am
tphuang

Originally Posted by zpaul
I agree that the utility of the SWUs/eVIPs has been diminished, as has been discussed quite a bit (I think this thread might be merged with another). I was unimpressed with the SWU benefit in my particular case last year, though I know that it's a YMMV thing. During 2016 I was never able to confirm a SWU at the time of booking (all Y to J), and all but one went down to the gate. I missed three. I'm currently wait-listed for two in Jan and Feb with the F cabin (3-class international) on both flights showing F7 Z0 A0, EF seat map showing 12 seas available for both flights.

I'll never say no to an upgrade at any time, but some of what was nice with clearing more than 24 hours out was being able to request a meal, and knowing that you'll be upfront before check-in, etc. I certainly haven't seen the same value in the SWU benefit over the last 12 months as I did for the years prior.
when you said 3, how many did you succeed in getting upgraded. I plan to use my this year for some trip to Europe and figure i will probably have to wait until gate time to get upgraded. Not a problem, but would like to know how often the upgraded don't get processed. For example, if there are 5 seats open in J, would they ever not upgrade people on the waitlist?