FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Platinum marketing: sexist, stupid, or something else?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:34 pm
lexdevil

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
AmEx Platinum marketing: sexist, stupid, or something else?

I've been interested in the Platinum card for a couple of years now. I travel for work, so I was initially interested in the lounges and travel credit. Recently the 5x points on airfare piqued my interest, given that I spend over $50k on airfare annually.

Over the past two years my husband has been offered the Platinum card three times with a 100k point bonus. During that same period I have only been offered a 50k bonus. I've told them I'm waiting to be offered the same bonus as my husband. Our credit ratings are the same, and most of our cards are joint accounts. My salary is also around twice that of my husband.

I've got no idea why AmEx is more interested in my husband's business than mine. His spending is quite limited. He does not travel for work. The benefits of the card are of no use to him, and his spending wouldn't make much money for AmEx. If he were to get the card he would almost certainly cancel it after a year.

I, on the other hand, spend well over $100k on travel each year. I travel frequently. I would be a valuable customer, and I would find the card useful enough to hold onto it after the initial year. The fact that I have (and heavily use) both the Chase United Club Card and the Sapphire Reserve, and that I have kept the Club Card for many years, should tell them that I am the kind of customer they are seeking. If I were to get the Platinum AmEx, there is a good chance I would cancel one of the two expensive Chase cards, assuming I found the benefits of the Platinum card worthwhile.

What could be driving this stupidity? Happily for me, I'm liking the CSR, so I'm not in a huge rush to get the AmEx, but you would think that they might want to compete for my business.