FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:29 pm
majik

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Sorry, my last post may have sounded more critical than I intended. However, leaving the credit to the last day of the year is risky because, like many companies, Amex may have reduced service over the holidays because of more employees wanting to use vacation days. This often leaves less experienced staff to handle problems (both computer problems and customer service calls). I have no inside knowledge that this is in fact the case at Amex but it is pretty common in many companies, so I wouldn't take the chance.
Fair enough but as I stated it was for last minute travel. I usually book flights on a different card with a more valuable point currency. This time round the $200 was more cost effective for me to use. Neither churner or aspirational traveller the Plat card benefits have a practical everyday value for me.

Bottom line though is that it appears they messed up the online implementation of the credit on it's expiry day. I feel it was definitely pulled early. I was able to see the 2016 credit in the checkout yesterday morning but by the afternoon it was gone.

Funnily enough I just logged in and the 2017 credit is now available online, with an expiry date of 12/28/17 vs 12/31/16 for the 2016 credit. So it looks like they've learned their lesson after yesterday's debacle. Judging by my interaction with agents today and yesterday I wasn't the only customer with this issue.

Last edited by majik; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:45 pm