FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help! Brother is stuck in PEK on a UA F Award Ticket
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:23 pm
restlessinRNO

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
He was forced to wait at the transfer desk for 5.5hrs. AC kept telling him someone from UA would come help him but nobody came.

He just texted me that they put him on an AC PEK-SIN flight tonight but that they weren't able to give him physical tickets for the connecting Thai Airways SIN-BKK flight tomorrow morning and that he would have to get them at SIN.

The miles are his. I finally convinced him to get a "Miles" CC for the $400,000+/yr he spends through his dental practice. He was just writing checks for bills/etc earning nothing. He decided on the $450/yr UA card as it provides 1.5mi/dollar spent on every purchase.
355F1 - I'm glad this has been resolved. It could have been a lot worse!

It does seem we hear more of these UA award tix disasters, USA-SE Asia, involving Air China (CA) and connections through PEK. In addition to the advice mentioned above re award tix, perhaps one could also add:
  • Try to avoid booking CA TPAC. UA is a consideration here, with Polaris. In my experience, TG often has good premium availability intra-Asia.
  • Avoid transfers in PEK. NRT, HND, HKG, TPE may be better choices.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Dec 30, 2016 at 12:33 pm