FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guest House Scam
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:26 am
TiberiusOnTime

Originally Posted by yandosan
So I have a one night layover in Trinidad on Dec 18.
I book a room at Liam's Guest House near Port of Spain on Expedia.
When I get to the airport in Trinidad the taxi drivers seem apprehensive because they can't find a phone number and something isn't right about the address, when they google it.
We drive to Hislop Street in a sketchy part of town and can't find Liam's Guest House. There are no signs on the street and when we get out of the taxi to talk to neighbors they all have never heard of this place. After 45 minutes dogs are barking and neighbors are getting irritated by our presence--we decide to give up. The taxi takes me to the one nearby hotel which has a room and a travel meltdown is averted. When I call Expedia I am told thet Liam's won't give me a refund despite my efforts and frustration. I later go back to the maps on Expedia and we were definitely on the right part of Hislop Street. People warned me Trinidad had some scammers but this experience takes the cake, like an episode of Twilight Zone.
It sounds like the agent you talked to didn't understand and just followed normal procedure. I would have escalated this to a supervisor. Just looking at the google map itself clearly shows the address is not real. I would definitely try contacting them again because getting it flagged as fraud would help other travelers. Good luck!