Old Dec 29, 16, 3:07 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by higher_flyer View Post
Not true. The burger is the same red-eye transcon snack as on other non-p.s. flights (in F of course).

Why can't there be some p.s. for p.s. flights, even if on a red-eye?!? Enhanced service, even if we're talking about a snack, would be nice, not the same average service as some random A320 flight.
Comparing e.g. SFO-EWR and SFO-IAD evening flights:

Up to 8pm: SFO-EWR gets the full p.s. meal service; SFO-IAD gets standard domestic food (so no sundae service or appetizer)
8:01pm to 9pm: SFO-EWR still gets dinner. SFO-IAD gets the hot plated snack.
After 9pm: SFO-EWR has the hot plated snack. SFO-IAD gets nothing at all other than a pass of the snack basket with popcorn, pretzels, etc (flight code is "Refreshments").

The snack service isn't particularly premium, but most of the world isn't looking for a full meal after 9 o'clock (see all the complaining about the dinner service on SFO/LAX-AKL/SYD/MEL). And when I missed a dinner EWR-SFO flight due to traffic and got booked on an 11pm instead, I was sure glad to have some real food on the plane to complement lounge snacks instead of a little bag of popcorn like I get on a 60-minute puddle jump.