FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport-managed lounges discontinued for SAS passengers.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:47 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by view
Exactly. This is the deal if you want to be part of an alliance, so for SK to get out of paying for Star Gold lounges, they would in fact need to leave Star alliance altogether. I am sure they have considered also this option, but of course they would be eaten alive in a very short time.
It appears that you and some other participants in this thread believe that EBGs travelling on a SK service will lose access to Star Gold lounges. That is not correct according to the link I posted in post #66. The lounges being cut are NOT Star Gold lounges, but non-Star contract lounges.

From the article:
Eksisterende lounge-tilbud, som til nå har vært driftet av eksterne utleieaktører, erstattes av Star Alliance-lounger ved de ulike flyplassene, opplyser selskapet. SAS er medlem i flyalliansen.

Samtidig skal flyselskapet jobbe med en oppgradering av egne lounger og investeringer for utbygging av flere tilbud ved de ulike destinasjonene

My translation: "Existing lounge offering, which until now has been run by external operators, will be replaced by Star-Alliance lounges at the airports in question, the airline says. SAS is a member of this airline alliance. At the same time, the airline is working on upgrading its own lounges, and will invest in extending the avialable facilities at the different destinations."

So: no loss of Star Alliance privileges (yet...), the enhencement only concerns non-Star lounges. The fact that there are no Star lounges at the airports in question is not adressed by SAS, even though they are hinting that mor Star lounges might be introduced.