FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ambassador Programme Information
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:30 am
submonte

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Having read through the Wiki and thread I'm still a little unsure of the situation regarding being upgraded to a higher tier upon purchasing Ambassador.

The wiki states that when you join the scheme you become Gold, so my questions are:

(1) If you are already Gold do you get upgraded to Platinum (and from Platinum to Spire, etc.)?
(2) if (1) is true (eg Gold -> Platinum) what happens to your status in the next year (assuming Ambassador is maintained)?

For example, if I would have ordinarily dropped down from Gold to Preferred (not counting the Ambassador) due to too few stays would my status remain Gold, and if I had done enough to remain Gold (10 stays) would the status with Ambassador be/remain Platinum?

I ask because I'm new to the scheme and while SPG Gold doesn't seem to offer much it is at least relatively easy to hit, and the combo of Platinum Ambassador may be more worthwhile.
With purchase of Ambassador membership you get IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite (if you register new or have not reached Elite status yet - upgrade from Club to Gold Elite). There is no automatic upgrade to Platinum if you are Gold already, you have to earn your status above Gold Elite.

If your Ambassodor status has expired and you have not reached what is needed to remain Gold Elite you drop to Club (not to "Preferred", this the basic SPG status). But it is very quick and easy to get Gold status with bonus points rates.

Ambassador might be interesting for you if you visit sometimes IC properties (benefits see wiki). IHG Gold is applicable for Holiday Inns etc. but I am used only to be top tier in the past years (Platinum and then Spire) so I canīt say anything about it. I estimate SPG Gold to be worth more, itself alone for SPG properties, and for sure much more through linking SPG account with Marriott to Rewards Gold.

I would recommend if you have a good footprint available with IHG hotels and sometimes stay at ICs you buy Amb membership and go for Platinum Elite at least.

Last edited by submonte; Dec 25, 2016 at 7:35 am