FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:39 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think this whole issue is being way overblown (as we FTers always love to do). Yes, traffic is a mess. But most times that means 5-10 minutes of inconvenience. It's not the avoid-at-all-cost, end-of-the-world scenario that many here would have you believe.

LGA is my home airport. I flew in last week, landing around midnight, and was bummed to see how bad the traffic was even at that hour. I hopped in a yellow cab and steamed as we sat in the traffic trying to exit the airport. But when we finally did and were cruising on the traffic-free Grand Central Parkway, I looked at my phone and realized that the whole ordeal of exiting the airport had taken five minutes.

Look, when you land at an airport, particularly at that hour, you just want to get out of there and get home, and I wasn't happy to be sitting in that traffic. But it cost me five minutes. I can deal with that. Yes, sometimes it's worse, and if you're indifferent between LGA and another airport maybe it's reasonable to choose another airport. But to choose an airport that's more than 10 minutes out of your way to avoid this traffic is absurd IMHO.