FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:15 pm
GSBEWR

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by Dovster
It reminds me of an itinerary I had last year. I was flying on AZ VCE-FCO-TLV with my ex and my daughter. The flight from VCE was very late and we were the last to board FCO-TLV. We had three of the four seats in our Biz row and the remaining seat was empty. Of the three of us, we had only one piece which had to go in the bin but the bins on both sides of the aisle were full.

Call me a DYKWIA if you will but I pointed out these facts to an FA and he re-arranged the luggage in one of the bins in order to fit that one bag in.
If you were polite about the situation, and worked WITH the FA to find a solution, then I wouldn't call you a DYKWIA. All you wanted to do is find some space for your one item and didn't want it to be in the back of the place.

If you were the "But I'm a SILVER" type when you first approached the FA...no comment.

I often find that being a little humble like Lt. Columbo ("Sorry to bother you...") and less like the high and mighty and uptight Sgt. Joe Friday will work wonders. It's all how you approached the situation that makes you a DYKWIA.