FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me salvage some damaged chocolate (was OMNI Baking Clinic)
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:23 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You have excellent self control. Those macadamia nuts would never have made it in the mail with me.
I don't have self-control, but I have a spouse who watches me like a hawk near sweets and bought the story I was taking the chocolates to my parents, while I shipped them to my FL home for later, undetected consumption. Thanks to the USPS and the weather, the plan backfired.

Originally Posted by Cassie55
I always melt chocolate in a Bain Marie to avoid burning it.

You could still temper it if you want a shiny finish to the set chocolates. Even though it's already processed chocolate the cocoa butter will separate as it's melted.
Could I get away with putting it in a large pot on the stove at the absolutely lowest heat setting and just let it soften slowly? I don't really need the shine as they won't last long enough to be admired. I'm concerned with burning it with too-high a temperature and making it sour.