Old Dec 12, 16, 12:40 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by phoochka View Post
I got IHG Spire status by signing up for an IHG credit card; having put in 15 odd nights so far in 2017, obviously I have no illusions of my status being renewed.

However, my seatmate on a flight this weekend suggested that if I bought Ambassador status, my Spire status would remain for all of 2017, the paucity of stays notwithstanding. Is this correct or is it some kind of myth?

And if correct, does it matter whether I acquire Ambassador by paying $200 or 34,000 IHG points?
1. If you buy Ambassador (initially , not renew ambassador) during Dec2016, you get the part month of December and 12 full months as Ambassador so eg 13Dec2016-31DEC2017

2. Initial purchase of ambassador , you get GOLD if no status, OR your current status if Platinum or Spire for the "12 months" span of your Ambassador year. If you are Spire now, then you will become a Spire Ambassador for "12 and a bit months"

3. This "trick" doesn't work on Ambassador renewal , when Ambassador resets to reflects your true "earned" status.

4. No guarantees, but recent reports are that this trick as wel as giving Spire for 2017 also gets you the 25k Spire amenity.