FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - any way to beat the 4 year expiry
View Single Post
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:38 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelomania
I just found out that the answer is YES ... or I guess so !

All points were acquired on 4/23/12 through Daily Getaways.
Used a bunch at various points in time.
On 2/5/16 I booked a X-mas stay in New Zealand to finally use my last 60k points before assumed expiration date.
After booking the balance went to zero.
Cancelled last week. After cancelling the balance went back to 60k with the following notice:

Points expire 4 years after they are earned. You have 60,000 points that will expire on July 31, 2017.
In addition, after 18 consecutive months without any account activity, all of your points will be forfeited. Be sure to stay or redeem with us by May 31, 2018.

I still don't know how to perceive this statement and how the calculation worked out
If anyone has a clue and can explain the logic, I would very much appreciate that !
Well, that's doesn't sound to me like it reset the 4 year clock. That sounds like they just extended the 4-year clock by roughly the difference between when you booked and when you cancelled. When you booked, you had a few months left, now you have a few months left (though it seems like it's a few more than before).

That's not at all what I would call resetting the 4-year clock. Resetting the 4-year clock would be if your 60000 points weren't going to expire until late 2020.

At best, I would call what seems to have happened to you is extending your 4-year clock, rather than resetting it.