FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AZ to end AF/KL partnership from january 2017
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:59 am
SEA-Flyer

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As a DL DM, I would love VS to become part of Skyteam or at least enter into full JV with AF/KLM. Right now it sucks. I can get a lot of times better flight times even with a double connect through LHR and onwards through CDG/AMS then going straight to CDG/AMS. However that can only currently be done on separate fares due to JV. One to LHR and one from LHR onward and vice-a-versa.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Well, it will continue to suck.

VS has no intention of joining Skyteam. And neither VS nor DL have any intention of sharing the lucrative UK-US spoils with their continental "partners" by including them in that particular JV.

Besides, DL pax that want to travel to the European mainland are adequately catered for via AMS, CDG, FCO and MXP. There is no requirement to add the non-Skyteam hub of LHR into that mix -which, as you point out, would add an extra unnecessary stop for all European mainland-bound traffic.
I'm with flyerCO on this one. I'm dreading the switch of SEA-LHR from DL to VS. Not because of any issue with VS. But because I'll no longer be able to buy a ticket for DL SEA-LHR connecting to AF LHR-CDG, which has much better flight times than the DL SEA-CDG nonstop. If I could buy a ticket for VS SEA-LHR connecting to AF LHR-CDG I'd be ok with that. But its not an option.

You can book a DL award ticket that is VS USA-LHR connecting to AF LHR-CDG, but not a paid ticket.