FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will transiting without a visa in Mexico City be an issue given this unique situation
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:12 am
diginomad813

Will transiting without a visa in Mexico City be an issue given this unique situation

Ok, I'll try to explain this as simply as possible.

My wife is an Indonesian citizen, and thus needs a visa to enter Mexico. I am American, but she doesn't hold a US visa/green card, nor a schengen visa.

We are applying for a Mexican tourist visa for her next week ,and are fairly confident she will be approved.

The flight we are looking at is IST (Istanbul) - LHR (London) - MEX (Mexico City). We are planning to book a round trip ticket, since it's only a few dollars more expensive than the one-way.

Here's where it gets tricky - we need to go to Colombia about 2 months into our stay in Mexico and will be in Colombia for about 2 months. The tickets to and from Colombia will be on a separate booking.

Will she have any troubles transiting back through Mexico City on the return leg on a separate booking from Bogota to Mexico City?

I have read some horror stories about trying to transit without a visa through Mexico City and just wanted to confirm that this was possible before making the booking, rather than face a nasty surprise when trying to board our return flight.