FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:06 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JC5280

For the record, UA is attempting to clarify on their Twitter responses that they indeed are NOT charging for bin space.
Well, they're trying to clarify the position on a technicality then. It's not that they're charging for bin space, they're not allowing bin space and then charging you to check that bag instead (or charging more in the ticket price to avoid the problem). Effectively the same result, although the consumer can avoid it by not bringing a bag. So they can argue technicalities, but I believe the data will eventually show that people who buy these fares overwhelmingly checked bags.

I don't really pay attention to Twitter, but I have to think people aren't accepting UA's clarification very easily.

Bottom line, as you've said, is they need some real PR to fix this, not some 22 year old's tweeting responses who don't really understand what's happened. Honestly, they should just drop the no carry-on rule, say they listened to their customers, and the rest of the noise will go away quickly.