FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:01 pm
john_y

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Trip Report: SLC>BOS>LGA>DTW>NRT>SIN>NRT>ATL>LGA>MCO>SLC

Leg 1: SLC > BOS
Complimentary Medallion Upgrade

Redeye but got upgraded to First. Slept about 3 hours and then woke up in Boston. Quick connection for flight to New York (LGA). Stopped into the Skyclub for a bite for breakfast. Then went downstairs and boarded my flight to LGA.

Leg 2: BOS > LGA

Short flight, 43 minutes takeoff to touchdown. Had a Coke and snack (standard First class breakfast snack basket) and watched out the window. I was upgraded again to First and even had the seat next to me open! 3 total open First class seats were open. Saw President Elect Trump's jets parked here at LGA too.

Leg 3: LGA > DTW- Departing Dec 2

Two hour flight and was upgraded to First Class. Watched a couple of shows and before I knew it we were landing. Super nice FA taking care of us up front. When we landed I was anxious to get to the departure gate for my next leg because I still had a middle seat and chances of upgrade were getting worse. I went from #2 on the list for 6 seats to #7 for 4 seats by the time I got to the gate. I asked about any opportunity to move to an aisle seat in C+ and they said unlikely but would put me down. Thought briefly about waiting to ensure all First class passengers had boarded to make sure I didn't miss a remote chance of an upgrade but red coat said that was also very unlikely so I just boarded.

Leg 4: DTW > NRT
GUC not cleared

Got settled into my middle C+ seat and waited what felt like forever for the rest passengers to board. I started watching some more shows and about 1.5 hours into the flight, they started the first meal service. Choice of chicken, beef or pasta. I chose chicken with mashed potatoes, not very exciting and was just okay. It came with bread, salad, handful of shrimp and a packaged brownie for dessert.
Before I boarded, they said they probably could find me a aisle seat in the Main Cabin. It for me the extra leg room was worth staying in a C+ middle seat. Just a personal preference thing and fortunately neither guy next to me were too big so it worked out this time.
After the meal, I continued watching more shows on my iPhone. By the way, did you hear the news this week that you can now download some Netflix shows to your iOS or Android device and watch them offline? Great timing for me and this trip so I loaded a bunch of stuff I have been wanting to see. Not all content is available yet, I'm guessing they will make more and more available as time goes on.
My sleep strategy has been to try to stay on my home sleep schedule and so far I am (or was) doing great with that. Having only slept 3 hours on my first leg, it finally caught up to me and I hit a wall at the 6 hour mark of this flight. Decided to set an alarm on my phone and take a nap for an hour. I awoke 45 minutes in to the crew serving the snack.

They served a small flatbread Margerita pizza and chocolate covered ice cream bar and drink service again. The snack with the catnap gave me a second wind and I was feeling good again.

Also, I got up every 2.5 hours to use the restroom and stretch.

Last meal (breakfast) served 1.5 hours before landing. Choice of eggs (quiche I think) and curry rice. Again, nothing great.

Overall, I was expecting this to be the worst leg but it wasn't too bad. Don't get me wrong, still 12.5 hours in a seat but it passed fairly quickly for me considering I didn't sleep any large chunk of it.

Leg 5: NRT > SIN
GUC cleared

Upgraded to D1. Flight seemed fairly quick and we arrived early. Most of the shops started closing their doors not long after I arrived. By 1am, the only places left open were some of the makeup counters, liquor stores and the food courts. I took the train to Terminal 2 and went to the 24 hour food court for some food. After I ate I went to find the Sunflower Garden which wasn't super easy to find and wasn't clearly marked on the directories or paper maps. Finally asked someone and they pointed me in the right direction. When I got done I took my time getting back to Terminal 1. Had some time to kill before the transfer desk opened so I went to the Wellness Spa to try the Fish Spa. That was interesting, it tickled a lot and was a little freaky. After that I went to the transfer desk which opened about 15 minutes late. Was asked where I came from and purpose for my visit. I said "miles" and it didn't seem to be a big deal. Also since I already had a confirmed DeltaOne seat, I was given a pass by the Delta agent to the dnata lounge. I headed right over and hit the shower first and then just hung out until it was time to head to the gate. The lounge was fine, it seemed newer and at that early in the day it was not very busy.

Leg 6: SIN > NRT
GUC cleared

Absolutely fantastic crew attending to D1 cabin. Richard and Bruce. I'm guessing some of you have probably run into them as they both work the route regularly. Stayed awake and did some work during the flight. Time went by quickly, 6.5 hours I believe. The Szechwan beef and rice dish was great!

Leg 7: NRT > ATL
GUC cleared

Since I checked in, I had been #1 on the list for upgrade to Delta One, 2 spots available. About 30 minutes before boarding My GUC cleared, hooray! Ate dinner and then went to sleep. Didn't sleep the best but much better than if I were sitting up in the back. Woke up to another meal about an hour from landing and it was good.

Customs process was super easy as I used the Mobile Passport app for the first time (yes I know I'm probably late on using it but most of my travel is domestic). I filled out the customs form on the app right before we landed and then when we landed and my phone connected to LTE, I submitted it before I deplaned. For those of you who haven't used Mobile Passport and have any international trips coming up, you have to use it. The app is free and it was even faster than Global Entry. No line whatsoever! Get off the plane, walk to the lane that has no line, walk right past all the passport scan kiosks, walk to the front of the line to see a customs agent, walk to the luggage area or straight to security if you have no checked luggage. It was awesome. This was my experience in ATL on that particular day.

Leg 8: ATL > LGA - Returned Dec 4.

After customs, I went straight to Skyclub near E15 and took a shower. Enjoyed a drink and then went to my gate. C+ seat on the 2 hour flight to LGA. Spent the night at the Hampton Inn at LGA, free shuttle from airport to hotel.

Leg 9: LGA > MCO

I will try to avoid LGA as much as possible in the future as the place is under construction and traffic just to get to the terminal is crazy. Just allow lots of extra time.

Leg 10: MCO > SLC

Had one hour layover before boarding again. I ended up being #1 on upgrade list when seats were full. At least I was in C+ aisle. At this point I was finally done with being on planes and just wanted to be home. Close to 5 hours back to SLC, uneventful.

Would I do it again? If I had GUC's, sure! Next time I would try to stay at least a day or two though before the turnaround. Didn't get any flavor of the culture or get to explore and that is something I really enjoy. Just couldn't make it work this time for this trip. Didn't meet any mileage runners although I wouldn't be surprised to find out there were some on any of those flights.

As this was my first MR, I really enjoyed reading trip reports from others beforehand, so thanks to all who take the time to share their experience. Hope this is also helpful to some.