FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC to allow status buy-up
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:36 am
YOWgary

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Because 50k and SE are the only statuses worth buying up to but SE is the much higher cost of the two to AC. There's a reason other airlines don't allow buy ups to their top tier or limit it with a very high price or close-in threshold.
I often feel like it's difficult to see the outside world from inside the SE bubble.

35K would be worth buying up to for lots of people.

For example, last year I flew mostly American, so I had to do a hot-lap YVR-YYC, the last week of December, to hit 35K.

This year, I have had a 65-pound Pelican case with me, on probably twenty-five transcon legs.

If I had been a 34-segment flyer, holding 25K status, that single bag alone would have cost me $2,500 in overweight-bag fees.

As a 35K, it's been free.

Assume I received a value of $0 from any other 35K perk, including eUps, lounge, etc, and my $250 round-trip to Calgary still returned value at ten to one.

Now, say that instead, this year, the buy-up to 35K is $500, or $1,000. Some fliers will be better off doing a MR, other fliers won't find any value in it, but others will still be much better off paying hundreds of dollars to buy up to 35K.

Last edited by YOWgary; Dec 5, 2016 at 8:42 am