FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ADP (Paris Airport management) invests in faster border controls
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:37 pm
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
LHR gates are indeed a bit faster than PARAFES but the difference is not huge. But I clearly prefer the LHR ones.
It sounds like you are referring to the older LHR e-gates. The newer ones (such as in T5 now) are IME considerably faster.

You know...I think technology is a problem for many people. PARAFES has clearly some inconveniences but it is quite simple to use (it is showing you which fingers you can use). But I am very often amazed by the number of people who are completely lost, putting any finger, not looking at the very simple instructions, etc. Same for check-in kiosks : as simple as they are to use, a very significant number of people are totally unable to use them without help.
That is true. With any technology, some individuals will not have the cognitive abilities to use them effectively. However, there is in addition a specific problem with fingerprint technology for older people: even with a perfect understanding of how it works and what you are expected to do, you are going to struggle to use facilities that rely on fingerprint technology if your hands are shaky, if you cannot maintain sufficient pressure (or the reverse) with your finger for a certain period, if your fingerprints are fading/become less distinct with diminution in skin elasticity etc... these are common problems for elderly persons above a certain age and contributes to explaining why fingerprint technology is especially challenging for the elderly.