FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Combine Award & Paid Tickets
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:26 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EightBall
I am thinking of booking my family of 3 on AB with the routing JFK-DUS-ZRH. There are 3 award tickets available for JFK-DUS, but only 2 for my desired DUS-ZRH connection. What I would like to do is book wife and child on an American Airlines award ticket from JFK-DUS-ZRH. Then book myself on an AA award ticket for the same JFK-DUS flight and separately purchase (<$100) myself a ticket for the DUS-ZRH flight they will be on. This should keep all 3 of us on the same flights, barring irregularities.

Are there any obvious problems with this plan? I realize that we will be on separate PNRs and that if the JFK-DUS flight is cancelled for some reason, my first ticket only calls for me to end up in DUS. This seems to me like a minor risk as I could always buy a new DUS-ZRH ticket if I was forced to. Would I be able to check-in at JFK all the way to ZRH? Would that help to avoid a missed connection in the case of a delay? Anything else I'm missing? Thank you for any advice.
Seems like a sound plan.

Hand a "TCP note" in your and their PNRs to indicate you're together.

As you'll be flying on separate tickets you'll not be able to through check your baggage. Can you let your bag be registered to one of your companions? If so, you'll have solved that problem.