FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can't Upgrade AARP Club World ticket to First?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:51 pm
SoulFlyer

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
The annoying thing about all this is that it seems to be up to interpretation. Working in the law, I hate rules that aren't rules.

BA called me last night and "escalated it to the concern team". They're supposed to update me within 24 hours.

I'm not cancelling the ticket either way, but if it's not upgradeable someone's definitely going be putting my AMEX points back into my account - I only transferred them b/c the rep said "Yes, I can upgrade you" before eventually welching.

Also, @ Jerry, thanks for those threads though I had already seen them... some people get their upgrades, some don't. That's the trouble. There's really no hard-fast rule, and if BA thinks that purchasing an upgrade with miles is considered a "deal or a discount" - it isn't posted (by BA) anywhere.

The summary of why I'm miffed:

1. The AARP rules specifically say "All rules of any fare purchased apply, including advance purchase, minimum/maximum stay, stopovers, weekend add-ons, change fees and cancellation/refund rules. Please refer to individual rules per ticket before purchase."

2. An I fare is an upgradeable fare. IMO, an upgrade, purchased with cash or purchased with miles would not be considered a "deal or discount" by a reasonable person.

3. Moreover, rule 11 says "Executive Club members can earn Avios per the terms and conditions of the Executive Club."
Theoretically, if the fare rules apply, and the EC rules apply (albeit for earning) - the upgrade should be an option.

4: On the upgrade page it says what fares can't be upgraded: Most cash bookings can be upgraded with Avios either at the time of booking or later on, depending on availability. Only the lowest economy fares (Q, O and G) cannot be upgraded with Avios at any time. The bolding is mine.

5. Clearly there's history that it happens frequently - which also means the computers allow it. If BA cared to disallow it, you'd think they'd prevent the computers from allowing it instead of relying on reps.

I don't have nearly as much experience w/ BA as all y'all, but even the responses to this thread are ambiguous.

-SF

PS - If they won't upgrade it, I'll just fly in J (rather than pay the $400 or rebook w/o it). Was hoping to give myself an Xmas present by fling intl F for the first time ever.

This post is more rant than anything.... I'm 99% sure I'm going to get the shaft here... My apologies to anyone who reads it!

Last edited by SoulFlyer; Nov 29, 2016 at 1:15 pm