FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:22 pm
StatusChallenged

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well I, for one, disagree with you. Bear in mind that I primarily stay in Asia, so YMMV depending on which region of the world you stay in.

I have been a Diamond with both programs for approx. 15 years and the treatment has been roughly equal until approx. 2 years ago, when Hyatt started to go downhill significantly.

I am at the Tokyo Hilton right now, and my treatment has been fantastic compared to my treatment at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo during my stay in October. The club has become a joke at the HRT, while the addition of the private Diamond club (separate from the Executive Lounge), here at the Tokyo Hilton, has made their far superior offering even better for us Diamonds.

Hilton has only upgraded me to a suite a few times, while Hyatt has never once upgraded me to a suite without using a DSU (and my success rate with DSUs has been woefully poor), so where is the big difference?

The higher-end Hilton properties here in Asia are at least the equal of the equivalent Hyatt in the same area, yet the clubs are almost always better at the Hiltons these days.

What amazes me is that I only became a Marriott Gold a couple of years ago due to the status match with UA, and I have already gotten 3 suite upgrades for free. The last one was a huge presidential-style suite for a 5 night stay!

So, from my admittedly short experience with Marriott, I am of the opinion that Marriott gives free room upgrades at a higher rate than either Hilton or Hyatt, at least here in Asia.
Asia/Europe definitely gets better upgrades. The other thing is that you have people who spend the bare minimum and expect diamond class treatment at every hotel they go to. The hotel would much rather use those diamond treatments on the regular visitor that spends money, rather than the traveler that books the base room expecting suite upgrades every time. I think that happens across properties.