FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:03 pm
makfan

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
AA 499 DFW-SFO Medical Emergency

About 2 hours in to AA 499 (op by N170US) on Saturday night, they brought someone up to the front and got an oxygen bottle out from above row 1. Then they paged for any passengers with medical training.

The person having problems was a uniformed crew member, but I think she may have been deadheading to work another trip rather than serving as one of that flight's crew members.

At any rate, a few people came forward and two of them worked on the poor lady for the remainder of the flight. I was seated in row 2 so I had quite a view of the activity. I won't go into the details of the various things they did in respect of the woman's privacy, but I was expecting that we might be turning towards LAS or PHX at any moment.

Fortunately for us, we did not divert. As we got into the descent they helped her back into an empty row so she could lie down until landing, and then they quickly cleaned up all the waste and prepared for landing. Another flight attendant came and sat on the extra jump seat at door 1L. There had been no service in any cabin for the last 90-120 minutes, so there wasn't much to pick up. Paramedics met the plane and she had to be wheeled out, but was conscious in the terminal after we were finally let off the plane.

Unfortunately for people waiting for the 12:40 a.m. return to DFW early Sunday (AA 444), that flight was canceled. It appears they ferried the plane back to DFW an hour or so later (AA 9617). Clearly oxygen bottles and medical kits were going to need to be restored to minimum operating levels before any passengers could board. Perhaps this lady was assigned to work the return flight and they no longer had a legal crew.

Here's hoping the flight attendant is okay.

Last edited by makfan; Nov 28, 2016 at 6:09 pm