FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longest you have been away on holiday (not work).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:35 am
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Interesting to know - all these multiple month trips, especially if it was not solo trip, how much the journey cost with all expenses - transportation, housing, food/misc/etc included?

One thing is if you won a lottery (or rich uncle just left you inheritance of multiple millions of $) and you can travel for four month staying at 5* hotels. Another thing is carry your tent with you and eat at Subway and street food all the time.
I was young enough I don't know the big picture on costs.

My father was on sabbatical, he got most of his salary and we used some savings. Most of that time was spent in third world countries and we traveled on the cheap side--we ate out of the grocery store far more than out of the restaurant. Back then there was also considerable tax savings.

Not counting the long distance transport our goal was under ~$100 in today's dollars for three people per day. This didn't happen in first world countries but we often came in under that in third world countries.