FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maintaining Status... Defies 4th grade logic (to merge)
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:59 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dt2191
I recently inquired about options to extend or maintain my EXP status and received an automated email immediately to pay $x,xxx to keep status. Finally I received an email reply (not automated) stating no consideration will be given. This is quite a slap in the face since my request cited I have exceeded the annual spend for EXP (requirement for 2017) and have not reached Gold.

To put in perspective: 1) I haven't reached Gold for 2016 (but will), 2) My spend through Sept 16 exceeds what WILL be required in 2017 for EXP, and 3) My spend through the end of 2016 will continue at typical higher rate...further surpassing the 2017 Spend requirement for EXP status if it were 2017. 4) Regardless of my spend in 2016, to keep my EXP status for 2017 I can pay a additional fee to AA of $x,xxx.

Or perhaps I am totally off base. Maybe AA airfares will drop so dramatically next year that trying to achieve per dollar spent would be difficult.
There is no spend requirement for 2016.
There are 3 published ways to make EXP for 2016, EQS, EQM, and EQP.
Nothing new here. In 2017, you will need to qualify by one of those methods PLUS the spend requirement.