FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ORD Ground crews vote to strike
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:45 am
doomxpatrol

Programs: UA & AA
This is a good point and key differentiation. I used to be ground crew at MSP. At the airline I was working at, mainline planes were all employed by the airline while the regional jets were outsourced to Swissport I believe as they were operated by Skywest, Endeavor, etc.

For the work and toll that it takes on your body, $15 is not too much to ask particularly in an expensive city like Chicago.

Originally Posted by Max M
I agree that $15/hr plus tips to do wheelchair pushing is pretty darn good money in this economy.

However, it's also baggage handlers fighting for $15/hr at ORD.

At some airports-- not sure about ORD--- some baggage handlers for some airlines are actually employed by outsourced 3rd party companies like PrimeFlight and Eulen America. Said handlers, including baggage office employees still don lapel pins and baggage handler uniforms belonging to the airline, despite being outsourced to a 3rd party.

Prior to such outsourcing, many baggage handlers that were true airline employees, made in excess of $15/hr (including benefits factored in). Baggage handling is hard work, and in Chicago, $15/hr for doing such strenuous work is fair, IMHO--especially with the volume of bags that flow through ORD.

If these outsourced employees win their fight and get $15/hr, it's probable that many won't get any benefits due to most only working part-time.