FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Cars in Costa Rica
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:23 pm
fartoomanyusers

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Xeno
I will make it to San Jose later this month and I am finding several posts by you that are extremely helpful.

I need to rent an SUV for four days, but I noticed in the FT Hertz forum that many complain that Hertz did not work out well for them. Some of them recommend Avis. I was hoping the OP would report back on his Hertz rental but that seems not to be the case.

I have AMEX points where I can get a good price on Economy cars and I will have a letter from AMEX proving I have CDW.

The tourist stops will be the kind you mentioned so I hope this goes well. I have a package with AT&T to do data roaming while in CR as I will need to use an iP app to find all these places.

just be aware that some of the main tourist spots really need an SUV, not an Economy car - Monteverde and the road to La Pavona (for the ferry to Tortuguero) were the two places where I was really glad we had an SUV.

I used Sixt - and showed them my separate insurance, and they were ok with that.

Sixt gave me a GPS for free (i'm platinum) and it was quite useful, even though I bought a local SIM for data / google map usage. The GPS sometimes had extra little roads - although the google map route planning was better.