FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Cars in Costa Rica
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:33 pm
Xeno

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
The SUV is necessary if you have plans to visit beaches, volcanoes, and national parks. Otherwise, book a sedan.

I highly recommend Economy, their cars are 3 years or newer, and have very low rent prices. The catch is that they have high liability charges:

$15 for basic coverage (mandatory, 80% of 3rd party damages).
$8 for complementary 3rd party damages (optional, additional 20% of 3rd party damages, for 100% coverage).
$15 for Loss Damage Waiver (optional, 100% rented car damages or loss).

Deposits:
$950 if you add LDW.
$2,500 if you decline LDW.

If you decline LDW, you must present proof or letter of coverage, from your credit card or insurance company. This applies to ALL rent-a-car companies in Costa Rica.
I will make it to San Jose later this month and I am finding several posts by you that are extremely helpful.

I need to rent an SUV for four days, but I noticed in the FT Hertz forum that many complain that Hertz did not work out well for them. Some of them recommend Avis. I was hoping the OP would report back on his Hertz rental but that seems not to be the case.

I have AMEX points where I can get a good price on Economy cars and I will have a letter from AMEX proving I have CDW.

The tourist stops will be the kind you mentioned so I hope this goes well. I have a package with AT&T to do data roaming while in CR as I will need to use an iP app to find all these places.