FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - fifteen luxury hotels on the Cote d'Azur
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:47 am
vuittonsofstyle

Thanks David0 - this was a trip down memory lane for me!

In fact, regarding Cap Ferrat, the Pierre Yves Rochon refurbishment was done a few years prior to Four Seasons taking over management. Four Seasons brought their training standards with them, but will be doing more work to the villas in the grounds over the next couple of years.

I also think it useful to point our that in the annexe of Cap Ferrat - the Residence - there are some stunning pool suites and a beautiful Spa - all Pierre Yves Rochon designed.

Le Saint-Paul, when it was privately owned, was a star in this region, but Baglioni bought it and I felt that the quality of the service and food really declined. I much prefer Le Mas de Pierre these days.

The Majestic in Cannes was the best hotel on the croisette before Barrière took it over - great food, not bad service and beautiful rooms and suites. Barrière refurbished it originally to look like the boudoir of a 'lady of the night', although they have toned it down a little since then.

I think if you stayed in Monaco, you would revise your opinion of the 3 hotels you mention. Hôtel Metropôle has a much more relaxed vibe than the other two, yet the service is excellent, as is the food. It looks as though they showed you a broom cupboard. The Junior Suites are very comfortable indeed, as are the full suites.

La Chèvre d'Or is a great place to dine, or have lunch on its panoramic terrace, but the beds are like rocks and the room/suite design is in very dubious taste. Château Eza, I agree, has a great restaurant, but I find the rooms/suites a bit claustrophobic - it's the sort of place to spend a night at - no more.

Royal Riviera is not really an upscale resort - more of a 4-star - and that is reflected by the level of service, the food and the relative comfort of the rooms and suites.

Thanks again for a very enjoyable read!